While the coronavirus presents the biggest threat to humans, pets can be at risk, too. Since your furry friend is part of the family, keeping them out of harm’s way remains a priority. Here are 11 tips for keeping your pet or pets as healthy as possible during the pandemic.
Clean Up Around the House
Since there’s still much that’s unknown about the coronavirus, it helps to maintain a super-clean home. With pets, that’s a challenge—but sanitizing regularly can help keep every person and critter healthy.
- De-contaminate when coming home from potentially germy places.
- Do a deep-clean of your home to rid your household of potential germs.
- Keep potentially toxic products away from your pets.
- Pet your furry friends with clean hands and wash before handling their food.
Pay Attention to Pet Behavior
While it’s unlikely your pet will contract COVID-19, the pandemic can be stressful for dogs, cats, and other animals. Help them to stay healthy and comfortable with these strategies.
- Address stress behaviors in positive ways.
- Have a plan for separation anxiety when you go back to work or school.
- Try new ways to keep your pet entertained at home.
Get Active Together (In Safe Ways)
Staying active is essential for overall health—for both you and your pets. While cats should stay indoors whenever possible, pups might need outdoor time, especially if you don’t have a yard.
- Offer your pup the perks of exercise with regular outings.
- Follow CDC social distancing guidelines for pets.
- Keep a six-foot distance from others to prevent potential transmission to your pet.
- Skip putting a mask on your dog so they can breathe properly and drink water as needed.
- Connect with Blue Haven French Bulldogs for more ideas and information!
Staying home with your pet might be the highlight of this pandemic experience. But just like people, pets need a clean environment, plenty of reassurance, and good habits to stay healthy. Following these tips can help you and your pet relax and remain virus-free despite the pandemic.
Photo via Rawpixel